The Settlement of Mesagros
This is one of the major historical settlements of Aegina. Here, it is worth visiting the Byzantine church of Panagia Politissa, which according to folklore was built by refugees from Constantinople in 1457. Some of the ceramic workshops the area is known for still remain. Mesagros has a long tradition in ceramic arts, as the characteristic pale yellow clay known locally as "paspara" is found nearby in large quantities and gave rise to numerous workshops that produced both practical and decorative vessels. The Aeginetan ceramic pitchers became known throughout Greece, as they were used to keep water cool long before refrigeration became available. The home of Alexandros Rodakis, built around 1889, is just a short distance from the centre of Mesagros. The house is an excellent example of authentic, popular architecture and is characterised by folk wisdom, smart placement, simple but functional layout and incorporated works of art in key locations of the building.