The Village of Kypseli
The largest village in Aegina is on the northern side of the island and is spread over an extended area. Its inhabitants, who were mostly sponge fishermen, seamen, crop farmers, livestock farmers and hardworking tillers of the land, took care to grace their village with beautiful, two-storey homes and a historical church built in 1880, dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary (Evangelistria). The village has a primary and lower secondary school, a cultural centre and a lovely old village hall on the square. Each September, it celebrates the revival of the "Leidinos" custom, reenacting the death of summer, as staged by members of the village's Cultural Association.